Anticipating moms will generally ask us if it’s okay to get dental care throughout being pregnant. The reply is a convincing sure. On this submit, we’ll clarify how being pregnant impacts oral well being and what you are able to do to guard your enamel throughout this life stage.
Oral Well being Concerns Throughout Being pregnant
While you go to your dentist whereas pregnant, they are going to look at you and advise in regards to the following:
- Decay from meals – “Being pregnant cravings” develop within the first trimester and proceed into the second. Candy or starchy meals, wealthy in carbohydrates, are generally the topic of cravings. Oral micro organism feed on the sugar in these meals, forming plaque that might result in decay.
- Decay from abdomen acid – Morning illness is an disagreeable prevalence throughout being pregnant, and researchers estimate that 70% of pregnant girls within the US undergo it a minimum of as soon as. After an assault of morning illness, a better focus of abdomen acid stays within the mouth, resulting in decay.
- Gum irritation and bleeding (gingivitis) – Being pregnant hormones increase blood move to the gum tissue. This may result in swollen, tender, or bleeding gums.
- Being pregnant tumors – Typically, localized pockets of swelling referred to as “being pregnant tumors” can develop within the gum space. Regardless of the identify, they aren’t cancerous.
- Periodontitis – Periodontal illness throughout being pregnant could pose extreme dangers if left untreated. Researchers have found connections between periodontitis and preeclampsia, a situation that might trigger seizures within the mom or a untimely delivery for the kid.
Dental Process Concerns Throughout Being pregnant
Earlier than you could have a process or remedy throughout being pregnant, your dentist will fastidiously assess your wants. Some concerns we make embrace:
- The trimester you’re in – Many dentists advocate pregnant sufferers ebook appointments throughout their second trimester. We advocate delaying beauty procedures till after your little one is born. Dental emergencies, nonetheless, ought to nonetheless be seen straight away.
- X-rays – At this time’s dental X-rays are secure, however they might nonetheless pose a radiation threat to your child. We’ll take further precautions to guard every of you throughout being pregnant.
- Native anesthesia – We generally use native anesthetics akin to lidocaine or novocaine to numb the mouth earlier than dental procedures. Essentially the most commonly-used anesthetics are secure for pregnant sufferers and don’t go away the remedy space.
- Sedation – Aware sedation improves affected person consolation and may ease dental fears. Nonetheless, sedative medicines can attain an unborn little one by the placenta and trigger antagonistic results for them. Even “safer” sedatives like nitrous oxide can pose some dangers to a fetus. Your dentist ought to work with you to find out the most secure option to carry out these procedures, together with delaying them if doable.
Oral Hygiene Throughout Being pregnant
You possibly can and may hold your common brushing and flossing routine throughout being pregnant. That is in your oral well being and your child’s security. If an an infection spawns from oral micro organism, it may result in problems akin to untimely delivery.
Schedule a Checkup At this time
At Babylon Dental Care, our crew is right here to accommodate your oral well being wants throughout being pregnant. Contact us at present at for a cleansing and examination appointment.
The submit Can I Visit the Dentist if I’m Pregnant? appeared first on Babylon Dental Care.